At Portaan Nahkurinverstas you stay in a tiny countryside village where it’s easy to relax in peaceful, beautiful environment and enjoy the Finnish nature. On the other hand, Nahkurinverstas is located in the middle of Southern Finland and it’s only 1-1,5 drive to Helsinki and all other most important cities in Southern Finland.
Our apartments are located in a beautifully restored traditional residential building. In the spacious and cozy apartments you can stay comfortably – whether you are traveling alone or with your family or friends. The price of the apartment depends on the number of people staying there.
In the evening you can enjoy the soft baths of our excellent, traditional wood heated sauna and have a swim in the small, clean Turpoonjoki river that flows past our yard.
For the mornings you can usually order our restaurant’s tasty breakfast unless you rather wake up without a schedule and prepare your own favorite breakfast in the kitchen of the apartment.
Both Liesjärvi and Torronsuo national parks are located nearby and there are also several other recreational areas in the region.
Katso hinnat ja varaa majoitus
täältä Travel Tammela – verkkokaupasta
Spacious apartments combine “old time atmosphere” and nowday’s comforts
The Nahkurinverstas’ accommodations are located in a beautifully restored tannery workers’ old residence, Pihatalo, which combines the peaceful atmosphere of old times with modern comforts.
There are currently two apartments to choose from: Pihatalo Downstairs for a maximum of four people and Pihatalo Upstairs, which can comfortably accommodate up to six people. There are high-quality beds for all guests to help you to sleep well or rest after the day’s activities.
Both apartments have e.g. two separate bedrooms, well-equipped kitchen, shower and toilet as well as a smart tv and wi-fi.
High-quality bedding, sheets and towels are always included in the accommodation price. The price also includes the final cleaning of the apartment, so you don’t have to stress about vacuuming or other cleaning at the time of departure, but you can enjoy your vacation relaxed, even until the last minutes.
Tasty breakfast available
When travelling, one of the nice things often is that you can enjoy a ready-made breakfast in your place of accommodation. Also at Nahkurinverstas, you can usually order breakfast for the mornings.
At Nahkurinverstas’ brekfast we serve normally e.g. coffee, tea, juice, bread including self-baked buns, cheese, ham, scrambled eggs, bacon, salad, fruits, youghurt, cereals and something sweet. And as the breakfast is often prepared only for you, special diets can easily be taken into account if we are informed about those beforehand. The breakfast is served in our restaurant.
Alternatively, it’s possible to prepare breakfast and other meals yourself in the apartment as both our apartments have a kitchen including coffee maker, micro wave, fridge, stove, dishwasher and basic tableware.
The price of breakfast for overnight guests is €15/person/morning (€7.50 for children 4-12 years old), when the breakfast is ordered at least on the day before arrival. You can also inquire about the possibility of breakfast upon arrival, in which case the price of breakfast is €20/person/morning (€10 for children 4-12 years old).
Relax in our excellent, traditional firewood-heated sauna
In the evening you can relax in our excellent sauna. The small, traditional, firewood-heated sauna is located in the accommodation building and is available for all overnight guests: You can always book it for your (or your group’s) private use.
In the sauna there are two optional wood-burning heaters and especially the old-style “Aito-kiuas” – meaning authentic heater – which is heated 4-5 hours prior to use guarantees extraordinarily good sauna experience and heat which is both intensive and soft at the same time.
We’ll heat the sauna for you but in case you want you can participate the heating process.
For those who are courageous enough and have swimming skills there is a possibility for wild swimming in a small river – both in summer and even in winter time.
Places to see and activities in Tammela & Forssa region
Onsite you can
- Visit Portaan Nahkurinverstas’ authentic tannery museum. For overnight guests there is free entry to the museum.
- Try our sauna and swimming in the small Turpoonjoki river.
- Try paddling in the river (the equipment and guide – if needed – have to be booked beforehand!)
- Have a walking tour in the old Porras village.
In the surrounding areas in Tammela and Forssa region you can e.g.
- Visit two different national parks, Liesjärvi and Torronsuo, and many other recreational areas.
- Visit Saaren kansanpuisto where there is also a smaller outdoor recreation area, swimming places and an outlook tower with great lakeside views.
- Visit nearby town Forssa. In Forssa there are fore example several parks, old Spinning Mill Area and Forssa Museum and related Pattern Centre, “the home of Finnish printed textiles”.
Read more about the sights and activities in the region:
We recommend Nahkurinverstas’ accommodation especially when
- You want to visit specifically Tammela or Forssa region and search cosy, spacious, high-quality accommodation in the area.
- You want to stay at least a few nights in the same location but see several cities and towns in Southern Finland. From Nahkurinverstas you can make day trips to many cities such as Helsinki, Turku, Tampere, Hämeenlinna, Lahti – perhaps even to Naantali, Porvoo, Rauma or Tammisaari, as examples. In between the city trips you can always spend a couple of days in peaceful environment in Porras village or Tammela, or for example visit the nearby receational areas.
- You want to experience Finnish nature without travelling too far from Southern Finland. In Liesjärvi national park you find several types of Finnish forests, lake views and Korteniemi heritage farm. In Torronsuo national park you can walk on Finland’s deepest bog safely along duckboard trails.
- You want to try excellent traditional Finnish sauna.
- You want to paddle in easy conditions.
- You want to stay in very peaceful and idyllic countryside environment but not “all alone” in a cottage in the forest.
- Instead of a hotel you want to stay in more personal special accommodation.
- You are heading from Helsinki area up North or returning from more Northern parts of Finland to Helsinki (for example from or to the Helsinki airport) and want to stay over night at a reasonable cost, not too far from Helsinki.